Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day 1 of the DC trip

Today was pretty funny. First of all, late last night we were smart enough to try out the converter in the van. It's always worked for us before, but last night it didn't. Steve used the front adapter, to no avail, so he switched to the back one, and again, it didn't work. He tried it in his car, and it worked just fine. So apparently, the fuse broke in the van yesterday! YIKES.

Thanks to the internet, other people said you can buy a replacement fuse easily at any Wal-Mart. So first thing in the morning, Steve ran to the store and bought it. Talk about a narrow escape! I couldn't imagine driving 2,100 miles with the kids and having no way to run their electronics.

The drive was surprisingly easy! We got to North Platte, Nebraska just fine. Our hotel on the other hand was another story. So we unload the van (all the computers, dvd players, our backpacks, pillows etc....). The room was hot and humid, so I tried to turn the the A/C on, and it wouldn't work. But we were all hungry for dinner, so we left and went across the street to Applebee's. When we got back we informed the front desk of the A/C problem.

They sent a guy to the room who kept messing with it, until it started to smoke! Oh yea, that's right, it actually started smoking! So they moved us to another room. They had a hotel employee help us with our stuff. So, we had to bring it all in again. A lady was watching us bring in the computers, and all of our crap, and she stopped me and asked if we are storm chasers!!!! What the....... Well, I guess we do look a little crazy with all of our computers. Then she pointed out several vans pulling up that had antennas and all sorts of odd equipment on them. "The REAL storm chasers" from University of Texas, and several other places showed up. I just had to laugh. But on the other hand, I hope we don't have any problems with tornado's.




I'll post again tomorrow to let you know if anything odd happens then.... :-D

No comments: